Split Rock Lighthouse STATE PARK & MN Historic Site

218-226-6377
State Park Office
Mon-Fri, 8am - 4pm
extended summer hours

218-226-637
2
MN Historical Society
:: Lighthouse open mid-May through mid-October
fee charged to visit
:: Visitor Center open year-round; 9am-6pm daily in (mid-May to mid-Oct) and noon-4pm
Fri-Sun (mid-Oct to mid-May)

Lighthouse Visitor Center

year round; interpretive programs & exhibits, restrooms & a gift shop

Historical Sites

Split Rock Lighthouse and the surrounding 25 acres and buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places

Picnic Area

tables with both, open & enclosed shelters along shores of Lake Superior; the enclosed shelter may be rented by calling the office

Hiking

12 miles; part of the Superior Hiking Trail; trails down to Lake Superior, up the river and through the adjacent woods with 6 miles of self-guided trails passing by many historic sites of interest

Mountain Biking

6 miles; hard-packed dirt trails follow the xc ski trails

Paved Bike Path

connects to Gitchi Gami Trail,which runs NE to the town of Beaver Bay & SW to Gooseberry Falls State Park

Fishing

in the Split Rock River and on Lake Superior; trout stamp required with MN Fishing license

Bird Watching

Click above for a checklist of birds found in Split Rock Lighthouse State Park


Camping

  • open mid-May to mid-Oct
  • 20 cart-in sites; carts provided, sites within 2000' of parking; 2 accessible sites; 4 backpack sites, 2 for use by kayakers
  • firewood and ice are sold at the park
  • handicapped accessible toilets and showers
  • public phones
  • vault toilets
  • click here for info on Reservations

Cross-country Skiing

13K; all groomed for classic (diagonal) stride with a warming house

Snowshoeing

anywhere in the park except on designated cross-country ski trails


© NorthShoreVisitor.com

split rock lighthouse
Split Rock Lighthouse State Park
& Historic Site

are on Hwy 61 about 48 miles from Duluth, and 20 miles from Two Harbors

Split Rock Lighthouse is on the National Historic Register, is part of the Minnesota Histoircal Society and is located within the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park

The horrific shipwrecks of November 1905 fueled the demand for a lighthouse along Superior's North Shore. The amazing construction process was completed in 1910, and the light at Split Rock shone until 1968. The history center's superb displays, exhibits and video presentations showcase the evolution of the lighthouse. For a glimpse of this remote lifestyle, include a visit to the lighthouse keeper's home and outbuildings. (Did they really sleep in those little beds?) The path leading southwest down to Lake Superior presents a distinctive view of the lighthouse and remnants of the lift that was used to haul supplies up from the lake. Climb the short, steep circular stairs to the top of the lighthouse. Spend some time this historic treasure!


split rock light splitrock lighthouse historic sites

Do they ever light the lighthouse?
Yes! On random occasions throughout the summer and at the Edmund Fitzgerald Memorial Beacon Lighting held on November10th each year.

picture of lighthouse lighthouse picture
buidling of Split Rock Lighthouse circa 1907
peregrine falcons are often seen during fall migration
split rock lighthouse island split rock state park split rock
cobblestone beach gives an excellent photo op of the lighthouse
snowshoe hares are seen in the park woodlands a falls along the Split Rock River

Split Rock Lighthouse State Park Maps

click to download DNR maps in pdf format
State Park Map and the Campground Map


What is near Split Rock Lighthouse State Park MN

click for complete listings of
Hotels, Motels, Resorts, Cabins & Lodging
Restaurants & Dining
Shops


For a complete guide to the State Parks along the North Shore of Minnesota,
head to

NorthShore-StateParks.com


For a complete online guide to everything about the North Shore of Minnesota,
head to

NorthShoreVisitor.com

state park map